It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:49 pm Advanced search

Clipping Issues

Nerd out with your production knowledge and find tutorials from DoD pros.

Clipping Issues

Postby adamzap » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:17 pm

I'm having clipping issues with a mix, and I'm curious how yall would approach the problem.

Let's say you have a drum bus and a bass guitar track, and you are happy with both. Neither of them clips when soloed, but when you mix them together and get a good balance, you get clipping on the main output. What do you do? And how do you go about ensuring that a the whole song doesn't clip as you add tracks?

I've had minor clipping in a rendered song before, but never this much audible distortion on playback. I'm not sure what that means. I feel stuck. I'll lower the overall volume and put a 0db limiter if I have to.

Any advice would be appreciated. I have a lot to learn! It seems like I can get away with a lot more when mixing live music.

Thanks!
adamzap

Re: Clipping Issues

Postby IvanHakstok » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:34 pm

Compressing individual instruments is the key there. Getting rid of the transients that pop out too much.
IvanHakstok

Postby adamzap » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:01 pm

Gotcha, I'll double-check my compressors. I already found one bad setting hehe.

Am I wrong in thinking that the low frequencies in the kick drum are competing with the low frequencies in the bass guitar, like they're not making room for each other in the frequency spectrum? If this is the case, how do I figure out which frequencies need be cut? Is comparing spectrum meters on each track my best bet?
adamzap

Postby IvanHakstok » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:51 am

Well, it depends a lot on the bass and kick sounds, but usually I leave the frequencies around 100Hz for the bass, and below 90 for the kick. Sidechaining is also helpful when you have a lot going on in the low frequencies.
IvanHakstok

Postby adamzap » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:33 pm

Thanks for the advice!
adamzap

Return to Production, Technology & Tutorials