It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:23 pm Advanced search

Themes Suggestions

Any discussion about past, present and future DoD competitions and songs is in here!

Themes Suggestions

Postby tibone » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:34 am

So, let suggest some themes we would like to see covered?
I imagine streifig must have a lot planned out. But it doesn't hurt to help a little, after all, if it's the themes we want, it means more music, right?

I'll start, because.. well, it's my thread. haha.

- Master System Month. Only games originally released on or only home port on the Sega Master System.
- Game Gear Month. Same, but with Game Gear (shitload of good music on that little guy).
- Clean Guitar Month. All songs must feature a electric clean (no distortion) guitar as a main instrument or an acoustic guitar as a main instrument.
- Synth Month. All songs must feature a large synth part or synth solo.
- Super Monaco GP month. Because its fucking metal, fucking prog and noone gives a fuck about smgp. =( c'mon guys..
- Home Computer (Non-PC (as in no DOS/Windows) Month. C64, MSX, Spectrum, PC-88 and more. Yay!
- DOS Month - Only games available on DOS. O'DOS RULE!
- Neo-Geo Month. Its fucking neo-geo, need i say more.
- Real-Life Character months. Only games based on or featuring real-life persons. Like Charles Barkley, Shaq-Fu, Mario Andretti and others.

And that's all i have for now.

-
tibone

Re: Themes Suggestions

Postby IvanHakstok » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:42 am

Hah I wonder why there hasn't been a thread like this before. I have lots of suggestions actually :P

- RTS month. This was an option back in January I think, but Disney Month was chosen instead.
- PS1 month. There has already been a Sony month, but PS1 needs more love.
- Atlus month. Games published/developed by Atlus. Which is a lot of games.
- Ubisoft month. Games published/developed by Ubisoft. Again, lots of games.
- Star Ocean/Wild Arms/Suikoden month. All these series have great music which isn't covered enough!
- Action-Adventure month. Metroid/Zelda/Castlevania etc. Do I even need to say more?

And my final grand suggestion:
- Composer month or Composer vs. Composer month. I'd kill for a Mitsuda month or Mitsuda vs. Kikuta month. Would be even cooler if a composer month happened on the month of the composer's birthday :D

Let's get enough theme suggestions to cover 10 more years! :doglaugh:
IvanHakstok

Postby Ryan8bit » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:49 am

IvanHakstok wrote:Hah I wonder why there hasn't been a thread like this before.

There have been on the shizz. Right now we have a list of themes that's probably 100 long, and still growing. But any good ideas are certainly welcome. Chime in for what you would like to see, and don't be afraid to second what other people have said.

I like the idea of composer months. That's definitely something we've kicked around, and there was Follin month (which was too disappointing of a turnout really).
Ryan8bit
Corrupt Advisor of DoD

Postby tibone » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:50 am

I imagined you guys have a huge list of months idea.
But i decided to post this anyway, because if someone has a really cool idea and lots of people embrace, i think it might be productive.

We need an Ryan8Bit month. Only re-covers of Ryan's music.
tibone

Postby Brandon Strader » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:50 am

As long as the theme isn't something completely ridiculous and divisive that will push everyone away now that we've had more entries than ever, it'll be good. I personally think Star Ocean month should occur every 2 months.
Brandon Strader

Postby Ryan8bit » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:34 pm

tibone wrote:We need an Ryan8Bit month. Only re-covers of Ryan's music.

Worst idea ever.
Ryan8bit
Corrupt Advisor of DoD

Postby FoxxDragon » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:15 pm

There have been a bunch of "theme threads" as Ryan said, and we have a ton, but keep em coming!

We did a Virt Month, we could do ryan 8 bit month....

Except he would never let us do it. We'll have to fire him first!
FoxxDragon
Corrupt Graphical Mastermind of DoD

Postby tackle » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:36 pm

My suggestions is what I mentioned in another thread:

SIngle song month.
Everyone covers the same song, and while you can make some nods to other songs/melodies perhaps, you can't stray from the original as if it were a medley. Wild interpretations are welcome, but not escaping into another song.

The slight lack of variation on the outcome could prove just a tad boring, but I would find it VERY interesting to see the results of this month.
tackle

Postby mega sackman » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:33 pm

Medley month, crossover month.

I like the vs. idea.
mega sackman

Postby Ryan8bit » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:26 am

We've tossed around the single song idea a little. It's been done in Clockwork, and a special competition might have to be the way that goes (except not as shred). But I would be quite interested in such a competition myself. Because sometimes people just pick better or more popular source music than others, and it's hard to stack up against that. A single song is a level playing field. It forces people to do something more unique. I guess then it just depends on which song...

FoxxDragon wrote:We did a Virt Month, we could do ryan 8 bit month....

Well, virt's an accomplished musician with a lot of professional titles under his belt. I'm just a lousy cover artist, although I guess I have composed a couple indie game songs. Still though, I wouldn't ever want that. Let's celebrate some actual game composers!
Ryan8bit
Corrupt Advisor of DoD

Next

Return to DoD Central